Topic Monday: Domestic Violence Series— What the Bible Says About Domestic Violence
Last week, I shared my struggle with my beliefs and leaving a domestic violence situation.
But, what does the Bible say about abuse?
- “Remember those in prison, as if you were their fellow prisoners, and those who are mistreated
as if you yourselves were suffering.” Hebrews 13:3
- Moreover if thy brother shall trespass against thee, go and tell him his fault between thee and him alone: if he shall hear thee, thou hast gained thy brother. But if he will not hear thee, then take with thee one or two more, that in the mouth of two or three witnesses every word may be established. And if he shall neglect to hear them, tell it unto the church: but if he neglect to hear the church, let him be unto thee as an heathen man and a publican. Matthew 18:15-17
- “I hate […] a man’s covering his wife with violence, as well as with his garment.” says the Lord Almighty….”You have wearied the Lord with your words.” “How have we wearied him?” you ask. By saying “all who do evil are good in the eyes of the Lord, and he is pleased with them,” or “Where is the God of justice?”. Malachi 2:16-17
- Wherefore, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath:
For the wrath of man worketh not the righteousness of God. James 1: 19-20
- Let all bitterness, and wrath, and anger, and clamour, and evil speaking, be put away from you, with all malice. Ephesians 4:31
- Blessings are upon the head of the just: but violence covereth the mouth of the wicked. Proverbs 10: 6
- Be angry and do not sin; do not let the sun go down on your anger. Ephesians 4:26
- It is better to live in a corner of the housetop than in a house shared with a quarrelsome wife. Proverbs 25:24
- He delivereth me from mine enemies: yea, thou liftest me up above those that rise up against me: thou hast delivered me from the violent man. Psalms 18.48
- My little children, let us not love in word, neither in tongue; but in deed and in truth. 1 John 3:18
- If it be possible, as much as lieth in you, live peaceably with all men. Romans 12:18
- Husbands, love your wives, and do not be harsh with them. Colossians 3:19
- The Lord tests the righteous, but his soul hates the wicked and the one who loves violence. Psalm 11:5
Join the Conversation: What do these scriptures say to you about domestic violence? Have you ever known an abuser that twisted the scriptures for his/her gain?