Fruit of the Spirit: Peace
I have several acquaintances that thrive off drama and I want to ask why. It is difficult to me why they want to constantly be in an uproar rather than enjoy peace and serenity.
Dictionary.com defines peace as:
- The normal, non-warring condition of a nation, group of nations; or an
agreement or treaty between warring or antagonistic nations or groups
- A state of mutual harmony between people or groups
- Cessation of or freedom from any strife or dissension
- A state of tranquility or serenity
The peace referred to in the fruit of the spirit is resting in a relationship with God. Jesus is described as the Prince of Peace. Jesus says that only those who have peace through God can make peace with man.
Rick Renner describes peace as “The word “peace” comes from the Greek word eirene, the Greek equivalent for the Hebrew word shalom, which expresses the idea of wholeness, completeness, or tranquility in the soul that is unaffected by the outward circumstances or pressures. The word eirene strongly suggests the rule of order in place of chaos. When a person is dominated by peace, he has a calm, inner stability that results in the ability to conduct himself peacefully, even in the midst of
circumstances that would normally be very nervewracking, traumatic, or upsetting…Rather than allowing the difficulties and pressures of life to break him, a person who is possessed by peace is whole, complete, orderly, stable, and poised for blessing.”
Charles Pope said “It is the tranquil state of a soul fearing nothing from God and content with its earthly lot, of what so ever sort that is. It is a kind of equilibrium that comes from trusting that everything is in the hands of God.”
So, what does scripture say about peace?
- “Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid”. John 14:27
- Being, therefore, justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ Romans 5:1
- Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful. Colossians 3:15
- Make every effort to live in peace with everyone and to be holy; without holiness, no one will see the Lord. Hebrews 12:14
- They must turn from evil and do good; they must seek peace and pursue it. 1 Peter 3:11
Do you rest in your relationship with Jesus and find the peace only He can bestow?
Walking in the #fruitofthespirit #peace Click To Tweet