Second Chances: Woman Caught in Adultery
Jesus has arrived at the temple and is teaching those that have gathered around, when the scribes and Pharisees approach with a woman caught in adultery. Her name was not recorded for prosperity, but her sin was.
The Pharisees says, “this woman was caught in adultery. The Law of Moses say we should stone her. What do you say?”
The Pharisees were testing Jesus to see what he would say.
Jesus bent down and began to write with his finger. We do not know what he was writing, but clearly he was taking time to formulate his answer. After the Pharisees continued to question him he stood and said, “Let the first among you without sin cast the first stone.”
He bent to write again, and one by one the elders left, until only the woman was left.
Jesus looked up and asked “Where are they? Has no one condemned you?” When she said, “no one,” he replied “neither do I…go and sin no more.”
This woman clearly received a second chance, not only with her life but also with the opportunity to change her life. We do not know what happened to her after this, but one can imagine how her life was changed by this encounter.
What lessons can we learn from this woman?
- Our sins will be discovered
- There are always consequences and penalties for our sins
- Jesus says the first one without sin should be the first to condemn
- Often we need to take time to think and formulate our reply
- None of us are without sin
- Jesus will redeem us
- Jesus gives us second chances but we have to make the most of that opportunity
- We need to forgive those that wronged us
- We need to forgive ourselves for our mistakes
- We can learn from our mistakes